PDA

View Full Version : Collecting ideas for new rotation

Dawg
04-30-2004, 02:05 PM
The following is a work in progress and I'm throwing it up here for opinions regarding removal/addition of maps and gametypes. I'd like to test out German Town and Bellicourt1.1 at some point, but I think we should limit the amount of changes we do at any one time. This rotation is heavy on CNQ (4) and light on HQ (2).

Rotation version 2.0a

1. Gun Assault ......... CNQ
2. Stanjel ................. Ret oltl
3. Carentan .............. Dem
4. Stalingrad ............. HQ
5. Varaville ............... CNQ
6. Falaise Villa .......... S&D oltl
7. POW Camp ........... Dem
8. Bocage ................. S&D oltl
9. Gun Assault .......... CNQ
10. Univermag .......... S&D oltl
11. Brecourt ............. Dem
12. Neunen .............. S&D oltl
13. Varaville ............. CNQ
14. Neuville .............. Ret oltl
15. Chateau ............. HQ
16. Offensive ............ Dem

There are a few things to note about this rotation:
1. The number of OLTL maps is 6, but they do not appear back to back.
2. The CNQ maps (Gun Assault and Varaville) each appear twice and are evenly spaced throught the rotation.
3. I tried to alternate US and non-US maps as much as possible.
4. There are a couple of different map/mode combinations than we've used in the past: POW Camp/Dem, Chateau/HQ, Offensive/Dem. I don't know how well these will work in practice but I thought it would be a good change of pace to shake things up.
5. Unused maps: Depot, Railyard, Ship, German Town, Bellicourt 1.1, Pavlov's House, Hurtgen, Dawnville.. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few...

Comments? Opinions?

Dawg

Iron Sauron
04-30-2004, 02:10 PM
*ahem*i think you might be forgetting a certain map. otherwise it looks good.

Dawg
04-30-2004, 02:18 PM
*ahem*i think you might be forgetting a certain map. otherwise it looks good.
Can you be a little more vague please...

PHOENIX
04-30-2004, 02:40 PM
The overall rotation looks good Dawg but I have a few suggestions:

:swg: I would love to see Mittenwald brought to our server, it's a great large size map and frolicking in the snow might be a good time :lol:

:sleep: I would not, in the least, be sorry to see Depot, Pow Camp and Chateau removed from the list for a while...... say 2 or 3 years :!:

And as far a Bocage goes it's a great map but I think it's too large to be anything but DEM. But then there is the problem of people not being able to get onto the server when it's on, so who knows :?:

If it were up to me we would play Gun_Assault, then Gun_Assault, then rotate to Gun_Assualt, then maybe Carentan, then back to Gun_Assault :banana: But that's just me...........

Good job though, it looks good

Dr.Strangelove
04-30-2004, 03:41 PM
Unless POW camp has a secret following, I'd like to see that one go. And perhaps change Chateau to RE, that's a fun mode on that map. Looks good otherwise, dude.

:nod:

Dawg
04-30-2004, 03:53 PM
Unless POW camp has a secret following, I'd like to see that one go. And perhaps change Chateau to RE, that's a fun mode on that map. Looks good otherwise, dude.

:nod:
My thoughts on POW Camp and Chateau and why I added them as is...

POW Camp:
I don't know how popular/unpopular POWCamp is. I'm not a huge fan, but I don't mind the map either. We have been playing the map almost exclusively as HQ - there is a spawn issue that leads to the defenders spawning around the radio at one area sometimes. The map is playable as S&D and, from what I remember, was pretty good for that mode. That is why I'd like to try it as a Dem map.

Chateau:
We've been playing this as Ret for a while now. I thought it would be good to try another mode so we don't forget there are other options! This assumes that HQ can be run on Chateau - I'm pretty sure that Chateau doesn't have a S&D mode available - this may affect selecting HQ.

As I said, this is a work in progress. If there is more interest in removing them then they can be removed. In that case, should they be replaced or dropped? There are other maps... some we haven't played yet...German Town, Bellicourt - already heard a vote for Mittenwald. :)

Dawg

Iron Sauron
04-30-2004, 03:57 PM
depot wasn't on the list. thats what i was refering to. and POW camp is good to. just not on HQ.

vague, pfft. depot pwns you and your rotation!

Wrigs
04-30-2004, 04:21 PM
I would like to drop HQ period, the server population drops when it comes on and a lot of regs seem to complain about it. I'm up for new maps. I dislike POW and Railyard seems to easy for the attackers when SD or DEM come up for it. I like Chateau (my favorite map) and i like the retrieval for it. It makes for an interesting game. I don't want to see Depot especially after we played it for over 3 hrs that one fateful night :D . As far as CNQ maps, i don't like them, but they fill the server up and i like that. I can always hide on a MG or snipe like i've started to do. So i don't mind them. Now i would like to see Stanjel twice in the rotation, once for Ret and once for SD. This is a good map. If anyone mentions Hurtgen, u have to stand still and let Doc "pants u". I also like Ofensive with RET, can DEM be run on it????

PHOENIX
04-30-2004, 04:57 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot about Railyard......That one can definitely GO :!:

Anybody notice there are just as many people spectating that map as there are playing it.......because most people sit that one out :sleep:

Sharkbait
04-30-2004, 05:01 PM
I have to agree with the new map idea :D , I also agree with anything other than HQ on POW Camp :( . Chateau is okay, I haven't played it in so long, I forgot how much fun it is. As you mentioned Dawg, I would like to try German Town and Bellicourt too :P . I have them, but haven't played them yet, I don't think :| . I also like the idea of using Stanjel more than once, this trully is a good map.

LionRampant
04-30-2004, 05:16 PM
depot wasn't on the list. thats what i was refering to. and POW camp is good to. just not on HQ.

vague, pfft. depot pwns you and your rotation!
Seriously, don't make me take your avatar down.

RobRoy
04-30-2004, 06:05 PM
Looks great Dawg! :nod: :nod: I would rather see dawnville in dem than pow camp though.But that just me :D :D :D :D

killed
04-30-2004, 09:13 PM
I like HQ, but i won't cry at its going. However that many rounds of CNQ? There goes my pursuit of spot 20 for best skill. Killed ouchies....

One thing i know is that i've had bad experience with Chateau HQ, i wouldn't reccomend that particular combo. How does stalingrad play on other modes besides HQ?

One final rambling point, you know how i feel about american guns... but thats a whole nother argument.

LilPuppy
04-30-2004, 09:16 PM
Hate HQ...but not on enuff to validate a request

Dawg
05-04-2004, 11:38 AM
This is what I saw...

Chateau/Ret
POW/~HQ
Stanjel/Ret
Stanjel/S&D
Stanjel x 2
Dawnville/Dem

Dislikes:
Depot
POW Camp
Chateau
POW Camp
HQ
POW Camp
Railyard
POW/HQ
POW Camp
Chateau/HQ
HQ

This is what resulted...

Rotation version 2.0b

2. Stanjel ................. Ret ........ oltl
4. Bellicourt1.1......... Ret ........ oltl
6. Falaise Villa .......... S&D .... oltl
7. Neunen ................ Dem
8. Bocage ................. S&D .... oltl
10. Univermag .......... S&D .... oltl
12. Stanjel ................ S&D .... oltl
14. Offensive ............ Dem
15. Neuville .............. Ret ....... oltl
16. Stalingrad ........... Dem

Notes:
1. Moved Stalingrad and changed gametype to Dem. This may result in the same connection bug that Bocage has but its worth a shot.
2. Changed Neunen's position and gametype.
3. Removed POW Camp.
4. Added a second round of Stanjel, this one as S&D.
5. I did not add Dawnville because Varaville appears twice and is based on the same map.
6. Replaced Chateau with Bellicourt1.1 running S&D.
7. I think I moved some other ones around too.

I didn't add Mittenwald despite my own curiousity about the map. I think we should stick with the stock maps and those in the two AHz map-packs for now (and Varaville). Bellicourt1.1 made it into the rotation this time, but German Town hasn't yet.

I like the Demolition mod and it appears that others do too. There are a number of maps we have not tried Dem on and it is possible that we try a few of these. I changed Stalingrad to Dem and we could replace the Stanjel/S&D or Falaise Villa/S&D with Dem modes. I think, for the time being at least, that we should keep most of them at S&D and change the gametype via vote or admin. That way, if there is a problem (e.g. connections) it won't require editing the config file to clear it up. Better to limit ourselves to one bug at a time.

Another option is to try BEL on some of these maps. I know alot of regs didn't really care for this mode but it would reduce the number of OLTL maps. Was it the mode that was unpopular or how it worked on certain maps? I don't remember... I kinda liked it - but only in small doses (like one map in a rotation this size).

Any final thoughts before I suggest the rotation to Menzel?

Dawg

killed
05-04-2004, 11:43 AM
from the one time i played varaville i found it more boring than gunassault. Current set up rotation i'm almost guaranteed to play one a night if not two. Is CNQ really popular enough to warrant being 1/4 of the maps?

Dawg
05-04-2004, 01:07 PM
I dunno, but that is a reasonable question. I know that CNQ brings in alot of new folks to the server but do the regs like it enough to warrant four appearances in a rotation of 16 maps?

My opinion: I like to see new maps appear more than once as that allows folks to get more familiar with the map. I, for one, like the CNQ mode and both of the maps available for it. You have a changing objective, a variety of terrain, and you get to respawn and get revenge on whoever killed you! I like the varying terrain as this gives me a reason to switch my default weapon as the situation changes - enemy holed up in house? flush 'em out with SMGs, enemy ruling the street with snipers? clear the way with your own scope!

Dawg

Paul
05-04-2004, 01:15 PM
Rotation version 2.0b

This looks great Dawg. I was sorry to see dawnville DEM go but I see your point, Varaville CNQ is a good substitute. I can play CNQ all night.

Paul
:D

PHOENIX
05-04-2004, 01:29 PM
I agree, the CNQ maps are awesome, I think people get the most amount of gameplay available on the CNQ maps.........I know some of us, like me, are sometimes limited in the amount of gametime per night......So CNQ gives me the most bang for the amount of time I have available...........I like the rotation good Job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LionRampant
05-04-2004, 01:44 PM
I don't think any map merits two appearances in one rotation to be honest. I prefer a small rotation of the more popular maps which should ensure a full(er) server. However, it's hard to assess what is popular and what is not.

Iron Sauron
05-04-2004, 02:16 PM
still no depot. :mad:

LionRampant
05-04-2004, 02:17 PM
If you like running around maps on an empty server, that's your choice... :roll:

batmanuel
05-04-2004, 03:03 PM
Gotta say... I think they did a good job with the look of the new CNQ map (Varaville?), but... I don't like it that much. For some reason the play seems really random and disjointed.

Or maybe it was just 'cause I got my a$$ kicked on it last few rounds?

Dawg
05-04-2004, 03:21 PM
Get used to it. There is simply not enough interest in bringing it back. The map gets groans whenever it comes up. POW Camp is in the same boat. I would have liked to have given the latter another shot as Dem or S&D but there wasn't interest.

You can get your Brit/Enfield fix on Varaville...

bat - I think that Varaville seems so random because the map is new and nobody knows where they are supposed to be going. I know I spent some time on the AHz servers running around trying to figure it out before we loaded it and I still have no idea where all the edges of the map are. I recall feeling the same way about the size and complexity of Gun Assault when I first ran around on that one. Raise your paw if you went running through the graveyard on Varaville only to find it walled off! <raises paw> Raise your other paw if you still have no idea where the 'hotel' is! <raises paw> Raise another paw if you ignored the game to explore some building or figure out how to reach an area that looked reachable! <raises paw> <falls down>

No rotation is perfect and there is no end to changes. I imagine that we will cull the rotation down in a few weeks as we find out which map/mode combos people like and don't like. We may also indulge in some of the other maps. Who knows...

Dawg

batmanuel
05-04-2004, 03:26 PM
Get used to it. There is simply not enough interest in bringing it back. The map gets groans whenever it comes up. POW Camp is in the same boat. I would have liked to have given the latter another shot as Dem or S&D but there wasn't interest.

You can get your Brit/Enfield fix on Varaville...

bat - I think that Varaville seems so random because the map is new and nobody knows where they are supposed to be going. I know I spent some time on the AHz servers running around trying to figure it out before we loaded it and I still have no idea where all the edges of the map are. I recall feeling the same way about the size and complexity of Gun Assault when I first ran around on that one. Raise your paw if you went running through the graveyard on Varaville only to find it walled off! <raises paw> Raise your other paw if you still have no idea where the 'hotel' is! <raises paw> Raise another paw if you ignored the game to explore some building or figure out how to reach an area that looked reachable! <raises paw> <falls down>

No rotation is perfect and there is no end to changes. I imagine that we will cull the rotation down in a few weeks as we find out which map/mode combos people like and don't like. We may also indulge in some of the other maps. Who knows...

Dawg

Dawg you're likely right about the map... hopefully it'll get better. I did the graveyard thing, and don't have a clue where the locations are...

Maybe it's the Enfields owning me something serious... those guns seem a little too powerful compared to the others.

Iron Sauron
05-04-2004, 03:44 PM
Maybe it's the Enfields owning me something serious... those guns seem a little too powerful compared to the others.

not really. it maybe that they can fire faster than other rifles, but they were designed that way. maybe its the fact they have more shots to play with before they bust a cap in your head-again, the brits designed it that way.

it all comes down to the fact that the brits had mroe expierence in colonial/guerilla fighting so they designed a suitable rifle. the krauts ans russians still liked infantry charges to an extent and designed a rifle fitting for the job.

killed
05-04-2004, 06:30 PM
Well, the brits in general have two very good guns on their side in the Enfield and Bren. So what do i use as my primary as a brit? the sten.... maybe at heart i'm just a masochist.

I'm willing to see if varaville gets better as more people get used to it(me included) but i'm not a big fan of CNQ, i prefer wave style respawn like DEM and HQ. CNQ usually just ends up feeling like run around kill people/be killed, don't worry since you just respawn immediately. No where near the tension of other modes.

The Duke
05-06-2004, 10:50 AM
Can we add Tram to the rotation????

8)

Wrigs
05-06-2004, 11:34 AM
Can we add Tram to the rotation????

8)

and Castle

*Seminole*
05-06-2004, 11:49 AM
I think the fewer OLTL maps - the better.

Just my opinion.

SoterioN
05-07-2004, 03:19 PM
The following is a work in progress and I'm throwing it up here for opinions regarding removal/addition of maps and gametypes. I'd like to test out German Town and Bellicourt1.1 at some point, but I think we should limit the amount of changes we do at any one time. This rotation is heavy on CNQ (4) and light on HQ (2).

Rotation version 2.0a

2. Stanjel ................. Ret oltl
4. Stalingrad ............. HQ
6. Falaise Villa .......... S&D oltl
7. POW Camp ........... Dem
8. Bocage ................. S&D oltl
10. Univermag .......... S&D oltl
12. Neunen .............. S&D oltl
14. Neuville .............. Ret oltl
15. Chateau ............. HQ
16. Offensive ............ Dem

There are a few things to note about this rotation:
1. The number of OLTL maps is 6, but they do not appear back to back.
2. The CNQ maps (Gun Assault and Varaville) each appear twice and are evenly spaced throught the rotation.
3. I tried to alternate US and non-US maps as much as possible.
4. There are a couple of different map/mode combinations than we've used in the past: POW Camp/Dem, Chateau/HQ, Offensive/Dem. I don't know how well these will work in practice but I thought it would be a good change of pace to shake things up.
5. Unused maps: Depot, Railyard, Ship, German Town, Bellicourt 1.1, Pavlov's House, Hurtgen, Dawnville.. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few...

Comments? Opinions?

Dawg

We got to play Bellicourt late last night for the first time that I got to see it - some SERIOUS eye candy - that is a really nice map and would HIGHLY recommend we keep this one in the rotation! :wink:

SoterioN
05-07-2004, 03:21 PM
This is what I saw...

Chateau/Ret
POW/~HQ
Stanjel/Ret
Stanjel/S&D
Stanjel x 2
Dawnville/Dem

Dislikes:
Depot
POW Camp
Chateau
POW Camp
HQ
POW Camp
Railyard
POW/HQ
POW Camp
Chateau/HQ
HQ

This is what resulted...

Rotation version 2.0b

Notes:
1. Moved Stalingrad and changed gametype to Dem. This may result in the same connection bug that Bocage has but its worth a shot.
2. Changed Neunen's position and gametype.
3. Removed POW Camp.
4. Added a second round of Stanjel, this one as S&D.
5. I did not add Dawnville because Varaville appears twice and is based on the same map.
6. Replaced Chateau with Bellicourt1.1 running S&D.
7. I think I moved some other ones around too.

I didn't add Mittenwald despite my own curiousity about the map. I think we should stick with the stock maps and those in the two AHz map-packs for now (and Varaville). Bellicourt1.1 made it into the rotation this time, but German Town hasn't yet.

I like the Demolition mod and it appears that others do too. There are a number of maps we have not tried Dem on and it is possible that we try a few of these. I changed Stalingrad to Dem and we could replace the Stanjel/S&D or Falaise Villa/S&D with Dem modes. I think, for the time being at least, that we should keep most of them at S&D and change the gametype via vote or admin. That way, if there is a problem (e.g. connections) it won't require editing the config file to clear it up. Better to limit ourselves to one bug at a time.

Another option is to try BEL on some of these maps. I know alot of regs didn't really care for this mode but it would reduce the number of OLTL maps. Was it the mode that was unpopular or how it worked on certain maps? I don't remember... I kinda liked it - but only in small doses (like one map in a rotation this size).

Any final thoughts before I suggest the rotation to Menzel?

Dawg

Me likes the current new rotation! :D

Dawg
05-07-2004, 03:34 PM
FYI - I PMed Menzel with the latest version. We should see it on the server some time in the next few days.* When it is in place, if there are things you do/don't like about it, post your opinion. If we get no feedback, we do not know what people want to see.

Soterion - I managed to get a few rounds in on Bellicourt. It is a pretty cool looking map but I didn't take note of any FPS issues. I got a few less rounds in on German Town. It is ok, but I think that Bellicourt looks more interesting. We'll see how it plays...

Dawg

*Depending on when he gets a chance to do it.