PDA

View Full Version : Voice server preference

Naz
06-16-2004, 06:59 PM
Well it's official the hosting Co. went belly up and left us all out in the cold with no one to help us but good 'Ol Iggy.

All payment issues aside I'm not opposed to finding a new hosting company and being the TS dude still. We can figure out how to handle that later.

My question to the community is do you is would you like to stay with Teamspeek or try out Ventrilo?

-Naz

ignus
06-16-2004, 07:15 PM
im up for TS since im lazy :D

Iggy
06-16-2004, 07:17 PM
Naz, have you tried Ventrillo? I have and I thought it was AWFUL. In case anyone missed that the first time...AWFUL!!!

Seriously, it isn't even in the same league as TS. Not that I have any strong feelings on the subject. :roll:

Have I mentioned I thought it was AWFUL?

Angry Kid
06-16-2004, 07:29 PM
Ventrilo is MUCH better than it was before, Iggy. I know that's like saying like saying you're the best smelling person at a Phish concert but it has improved. I especially like the integration of the text-to-speech function. Plus, it has a cool sounding 'click - chirp' when you key/dekey your mic. Very militaryly . . est.

That said (and assuming I'm reading their website correctly), unless you go with the Pro version, the maximum number of users you can have is 8.

To use the Pro version, you have to be a 'Ventrilo Service Provider' server, read you have to rent the BW from the VSP.

TS

TS

TS

Crazy Hobbit
06-16-2004, 09:07 PM
TS!

oh and I would absolutely pay a small amount every month just to make sure its running. absolutely i would.

RuperT
06-16-2004, 10:36 PM
In my opinion, the only really compelling reason this group might prefer Ventrilo over TS is the Text-To-Speech support. This allows the app to 'tell' you about certain events. For example, it would say 'Dali has joined the channel', or 'His Etherealness, the Dali LLama has joined the channel' (your phonetic name can be different from your account name). Needless to say, this feature is extremely cool, and it's amusing to hear the thing read your chat window or server-wide comments. Also, you have a little more control over your audio inputs and outputs (ie, you can independently adjust the loudness of your mic), which is mostly moot in Windows. I didn't see any but the one version of Ventrilo on their download page, and I'm fairly darn certain it'll take more than 8 (my clan used it for a while). You do have to pay for licensing if it's being used in a commercial application, IIRC.
The advantages of Teamspeak, as I see them, are: powerful key binding (for broadcasting to certain people or channels, etc) and a much better remote server admin interface.
Most of the guys in my clan prefer Ventrilo, and I thought that, generally, users had fewer various problems with it than with Teamspeak. However, one of our guys would get repeatedly dropped from Ventrilo (on, off, on, off...), so we went (back) to Teamspeak. Now, we're starting to utilize the channel broadcasting abilities of TS, so there's probably no going back.
They're both at least decent.

ignus
06-16-2004, 10:48 PM
roger wilco!

Canadian Hick
06-16-2004, 11:04 PM
Can and string. May have to speak up, especially Lion. :roll:

LionRampant
06-17-2004, 02:00 AM
Well, you never know. People might understand me a bit better if they can't hear me.

I voted TS. Something to do with I like it and it works okay for us and all that...

Chalybos
06-17-2004, 08:19 AM
Well, you never know. People might understand me a bit better if they can't hear me.

I voted TS. Something to do with I like it and it works okay for us and all that...
If it ain't broke, DFWI?

Chairman_Kaga
06-17-2004, 10:43 AM
Voted TS but don't really care. It's just easier to tell someone in game to "get on TS" than it is to say "get on ventrillo".

Dawg
06-17-2004, 10:48 AM
Not much to add.

I voted TS because we have it and it works. We are familiar with it and can help eachother out in using it when there are problems.

Dawg

LilPuppy
06-17-2004, 10:55 AM
Voted TS but don't really care. It's just easier to tell someone in game to "get on TS" than it is to say "get on ventrillo".

gee thanks for making it easier on us to tell you that.. :P

Naz
06-17-2004, 11:15 AM
Well the people have spoken. So I will go to the the hardware store and pick up the string, Hick you have the can's right?

If Iggy is good enough to keep the temp server up for a few more days I will go and find us a new TS home.

Stay tuned to your local forum for news and updates.

-Naz

BTW who's the 3rd person that voted for can and string :?:

SauerKraut
06-17-2004, 11:33 AM
I've tried both and in my opinion TS is more user friendly in regards to ease of use and it doesn't have that annoying option for text-to-speech chat that annoys the crap outta me. :D

*oh, didn't see your post Naz. Excellent!

LilPuppy
06-17-2004, 09:59 PM
Well the people have spoken. So I will go to the the hardware store and pick up the string, Hick you have the can's right?

If Iggy is good enough to keep the temp server up for a few more days I will go and find us a new TS home.

Stay tuned to your local forum for news and updates.

-Naz

BTW who's the 3rd person that voted for can and string :?:

me.... :D , thanks Naz.

Iggy
06-17-2004, 11:48 PM

It will more than likely always be there...just in case. Guess it would be more appropriate to name it the backup server instead of a temporary one. ;)

Chalybos
06-18-2004, 08:56 AM
Yeak, backup sounds better. And would be a better description.