PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to re-establish some on-line TS decency?

SoterioN
09-04-2004, 02:50 PM
Last night on FH, I bombed the Japanese carrier with a Douglas dive bomber (I think that's the one) on Midway. The roar of the engines is very loud, and I could barely hear AK in the back of the plane spotting let alone any other chatter on TS. So as I sweep down, I line up, and release just when I hear NV's alert that HE'S on the enemy carrier. I felt bad, no I didn't see the little blue arrow, it was a mistake, so I said sorry.

Anyway, as I'm flying back to the American carrier to reload, there's a lot of commotion over TS when I finally hear someone (not NV) say something like: "Soterion stop whining" - now the last thing I had said on TS was sorry to NV...

First of all, I'm getting really sick of this notion that I whine on TS. This misconception has been propagated since Seminole called me a "whiney a$$ b*tch" and accused me of switching sides more than anyone on a map awhile ago. Now as much as I'd love Sem to come to Louisville and repeat what he said without the security of the internet in front of him, I've been relatively quiet on TS when I have been on, which is rather infrequent.

Although I've been busy with school, I have made it a point to avoid this server and community to some degree because of a disturbing trend of "elitist" attitudes that is emerging across various games and posts in the Wall.

I know I can shut up and not connect, "turn the channel" if you will. But if I have to leave because of that, then it is a sad day for this gaming community, but hey, if you like the VSF servers to have 10 people in FH, and 12 people in CoD, then by all means keep alienating good players.

Now I can really give a rat's a$$ about what a few jerks on this server feel towards me, and if given the chance, I'd love to "take it outside" and make them my b*tch. Nevertheless, since the servers are public access and TS is open to members of VSF, I think it would be nice if people could chill the hell out, think before you open your ignorant mouth on TS and stop name calling or accusing... :roll:

Angry Kid
09-04-2004, 04:31 PM
Damn - we do need a group hug. :|

I remember hearing someone (not sure who) say that, but they also said they were just kidding right after. That part might have gotten lost in the chatter, too.

People tell me all the time now "GFY". I think they're just kidding. I think. :?

EDIT: on occasion, I use the mute function on TS when it gets . . . silly.

Dr.Strangelove
09-04-2004, 05:15 PM
NV tells me to GFY often, but for him that's just being flirtatious. I think the problem is when there are 14 people in one channel an off-color joking comment can be misinterpreted. If you guys listened to how NV and I talk to one another you would swear we wanted to kill one another but it's only in jest. Anyway, I like pink flamingos.

:nod:

Naz
09-04-2004, 07:20 PM
Damn and I thought we could go 3 weeks without some new commotion.

-Naz

Vygramul
09-05-2004, 01:19 AM
First of all, I'm getting really sick of this notion that I whine on TS.

They must be confusing you for me. I'm the official TS whiner.

I do apologize for any insults I may have levelled or irritations I have caused over the last couple of years of TS.

Chalybos
09-05-2004, 04:00 PM
I don't apologize for any insults I've given over TS. :P I missed out on that. I do, however, apologize for those occasions where my language filter is off and there's a youngin on. As far as the whining goes, you're wrong Vy. I'm the biggest whiner. You're the biggest weiner, so I can see how you could make that mistake. :D Now, everybody, STFU and hug each other.

Dawg
09-05-2004, 05:12 PM
I would hope that comments of these sorts were in jest, but it seems that they were not. TS is supposed to add a dimension to the game. That extra dimension is supposed to augment the fun we have. If we resort to insulting eachother or otherwise annoying eachother then it is not serving its purpose. I have not encountered the kind of problems that Sot mentions, but I have never ventured on the BF channels - the CoD channel seems pretty amiable. There are rare bursts of unnecessary profanity (which I was guilty of myself one night, so I cannot really accuse others) but I haven't heard any sort of venom being described.

Let's remember that these are games. If you are getting so frustrated that you lose control of your tongue then you should take a break and come back when you have your emotions in check. Or, simply leave TS and yell all you want at the monitor. We're all just trying to have fun. If two other players on TS start getting into it with eachother it disturbs the game for EVERYONE on the channel. If you talk some smack and the other guy feels insulted, apologize. It doesn't matter that you were joking and they misinterpreted it - just let it slide.

Dawg

NVmySTYLE
09-05-2004, 05:30 PM
not sure who said that jason but i assure you it wasn't i. personally i'm getting fed up with the tk's because people don't know how to use the map. last night was a perfect example.....USING THE MAP i saw your plane turn towards the carrier and spammed NEGATIVE as many times as the server allowed, i also asked over TS for you not to bomb me to no avail. i understand FH's engine noise is so high everyone on TS is drowned out that is why i chose to spam negative.

i'm not sure if people are afraid to look up to the right corner or it's just easier to shoot anything that moves. for those of you that don't know, the transparency of the map is customizable...i suggest you set it to a level you're comfortable with and then fullscreen it. you'll see all your teammates arrows much better and cut down on the tk's.

Chalybos
09-05-2004, 05:37 PM
^^^^^^^^^ Dead on with the map thing. Translucency set to about 90% and a convenient location for the hot key make all the difference in the world. Especially when you're firing into a crowd of tanks and can't read the tags. And yes, the planes in FH are load as hell, so you should try turning down the game volume. That way, it doesn't affect TS volume.

SoterioN
09-05-2004, 05:44 PM
not sure who said that jason but i assure you it wasn't i. personally i'm getting fed up with the tk's because people don't know how to use the map. last night was a perfect example.....USING THE MAP i saw your plane turn towards the carrier and spammed NEGATIVE as many times as the server allowed, i also asked over TS for you not to bomb me to no avail. i understand FH's engine noise is so high everyone on TS is drowned out that is why i chose to spam negative.

i'm not sure if people are afraid to look up to the right corner or it's just easier to shoot anything that moves. for those of you that don't know, the transparency of the map is customizable...i suggest you set it to a level you're comfortable with and then fullscreen it. you'll see all your teammates arrows much better and cut down on the tk's.

No, I know it wasn't you who said it, and I did say sorry for the tk, it was my bad. I couldn't hear TS, OR the negs, that divebomber was really loud, so I turned down the volume,

I usually use my map pretty well, but one complaint I have in midway, is that flying toward the enemy fleet, you'll see an ally arrow before you see the ship, so its difficult to tell which ship you might be on... oh well, it was my fault in that case.

Canadian Hick
09-05-2004, 08:16 PM
If you made out their words clearly it wasn't me. :D