Thread: I'm outta Retirement

Default I'm outta Retirement

3 weeks until Wolf comes out.

So I've pulled the doctor bag out of retirement. I'm even sporting a shiny new avatar.

Fire it up!!!!

Do needles rust?
    ________
    Double Eagle Powered Airsoft Shotgun
    Last edited by Mad_Gasser; 04-23-2011 at 01:47 AM.

We should try to rally around this one... eveyone back--all the old gang.

What are the chances we can get a server up quickly/freely? I'm guessing slim, but just asking. if it sucks we just shut it down

I hate to say it, but I'm leaning towards sucks. Even if I were to be told that it's a terribly unpolished beta, the sounds are lousy, the motion is horrid (far closer to ET than to RTCW - and I didn't mind ET), and the one map I played was tiny. The flamethrower is powerful, but the graphics suck. The people on fire are cool, but the firing looks more like some kind of narrow cloud rather than a stream of fire. Definitely can't write your name in the air with it. It's also very easy to use offensively - much harder to burn yourself. I fired the panzerfaust twice before switching (it is now a panzerschreck, although it's still called a panzerfaust), and I killed only one person, and that with a direct hit, so it's not clear to me what the splash damage on it is.

That being said, there are caveats (or, at least I hope they're caveats). What I played was apparently some cross-platform thing where most of the references were to xbox buttons. "Press A to... Press B to... Press Y to... Press R1 to..." Although it had control and option screens for keyboard/mouse interface and I played it on the PC.

By default, the console is disabled. You have to create an autoexec.cfg to insert something like "consoleENABLE 1". There are also FPS issues a lot of people are reporting, but I haven't investigated what I'm getting yet. A lot of the console commands no longer require "/". For example, you type "connect 198.242.23.1" rather than "/connect 198.242.23.1".

Anyway, I'll give it some more time soon and give a more detailed report, but my initial impression is that BF1943 is far more enjoyable than Wolf 2.
    Last edited by Vygramul; 08-03-2009 at 09:27 AM.
    Experience declares that man is the only animal which devours his own kind; for I can apply no milder term to the governments of Europe, and to the general prey of the rich on the poor.

I'm still gonna get it, I guess I'll just be one of the beta-testers until they fix some of those things Vyg mentioned. I guess I'm just itching to pick up a WWII weapon again on the PC. It's been 4 years since FH and BF1942, it's time to grab a rifle and a K-ration and fight!

I'm leaning towards Doc on this. I'm just hoping my PC will handle the game. I guess what I miss the most is the smack talk on TS. I can't wait to hear a Long Island blast of F-Bombs from Gasser.

I'm going to get it for sure just cause I got such a huge value out of RTCW. I figured the $50 i paid for that game was a steal considering how much i played it so even if it turns out to not be great I'm still ahead value wise.

If the game is good, I'm considering hosting a server. I might upgrade my cable to business class which I've been meaning to do for awhile. That would give me 5 public IP's and I could set up a dedicated server with it.

I've got a 4MBPS upload speed and I'm usually getting that bandwidth with no problem.
    ________
    THE YAZIDI BRANCH OF YAZDANISM DICUSSION
    Last edited by Mad_Gasser; 04-23-2011 at 01:47 AM.

Ooooh, that would be pure sweetness! I'd give you a big,wet, sloppy.....pat on the back.