Thread: Upgraded! New Features! Oh my!

Default Upgraded! New Features! Oh my!

So since I moved the forums to the second new server in a few months (dedicated -> linode -> digital ocean) I figured I'd give it some more love and upgrade vbulletin. Seems to have worked.

Notable feature: "What's New?" link up there on the top left is an activity stream. be interesting to see what it shows after some activity
    Notable feature: mobile theme! I installed a mobile theme. I personally don't hit VSF on a mobile, and if I do the current them works fine on an iPad, but... now we have this nifty mobile thing that looks pretty nice.

As always, if you see any bugs or issues... find someone who cares :P

Incidentally, Linode is really nice. It was $25/mo for a nice VPS with full backups. However, I think I made some terrible choices with Apache's setup and virtual hosting when I built it, and performance was gawdawful. Kept having to restart apache/mysql. I set up a digital ocean VPS for a side biz for $5/mo with full backups (lower specs though, and eventually upgraded to the $10/mo with the same specs and backups as the $25 linode). Linode and DO offer some really nice features for a great price. The Linode LISH console is a bit better than DO's, and the mobile app from Linode is free (the DO apps are third party) which lets you access LISH or reboot remotely--very handy. I moved all my domains (including vsf) to this new DO and... we'll see how it goes. I have one more to move to a distinct DO 'cause it needs SSL, but i'll still be -$5/mo compared to linode. Just a quick review in case anyone is shopping for a server.

And, between the two of us that were splitting the dedicated server... we now have 4 DO VPSes (personal vs 3 biz) and are coming in less than a third what we paid dedicated and have way better features and it won't all die with a drive failure.

Lastly, if you have any systems you monitor... Monit is pretty awesome and easy to setup. Highly recommended.

Interesting,
    Imagine if you'd spent as many hours practicing with a musical instrument as you have spent playing video games.

As always, thanks Bat. It caught me offguard when I logged in. My initial reaction was "what did I break?"
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst forth at once in the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.