Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wolfenstein: The New Order Review after First Level

Pirate Pope's Mobile House of Fun - Kids Welcome

Default Wolfenstein: The New Order Review after First Level

Wolfenstein New Order - okay I'm hooked...

SPOILERS...

Just to see if you're interested:

Opening gameplay is typical ID/Activision and boring - run and do this, run and do this - you get about 5 mins of this. You also get a boring ass ****ing pushy Scott sergeant ordering you around, which is kinda dumb since BJ is a Captain in OSA. You get some of this "go do that, go hit this, you're the only one.." stupid **** for the first level for some time.

However, when you hit the beach, if you're like me, you get that OH **** feeling like the first time you saw one of the TESLA dudes in RTCW. It's 1946, Nazis are winning, and Deathshead has got a ton of toys.
    Assault through first level is linear, and largely predictable, however, the combat is Call of Duty single player style, so you can fire from cover which is ****ing bad ass (you have to get close and wait till you see the little white arrow, then look down site and you'll be using cover - took awhile to discover).

Got inside the castle and suddenly it was a bit creepy - as noted, armored german shepherds ****ing suck. There's also robot dogs and other surprises.
    This level proceeds to a point in which I was actually taken aback, it went from predictable, oh ****, to OH WTF!!!!??? to suddenly SAW style choices (which is cool if there is a particularly annoying AI helping you, which there is...).

I am now in 1960s, opening scene, and THE **** JUST GOT REAL. It went from a somewhat predictable WWII shooter to what really does feel like a post-apocolyptic, Terminator feel where you are humanity's hope - that's just the feel and the melee take down I just did to start the scene LITERALLY got my heart beating fast.

So, ya, don't know if it will be the greatest game I ever played, but already I think it was worth the money.

Right off the bat, things that are cool:

1) Perk system - basically 4 trees that you can unlock to specialize your style of play. You unlock the trees by doing certain things, and they boost your abilities.
    2) Dual wielding - btw, you have to hold fire and I think aim (?) at same time to fire both weapons.
    3) Throwing knives - 'nough said
    4) Melee takedowns are awesome and you are rewarded for it.
    5) Alternative history timeline - really ****ed up but they did a good job making life see desperate if the Nazis really did win.

Right off the bat, things that suck:

1) bossy AI and the reliance solely on you to fix things in first level - this is a complaint of most FPS... I guess if you're 14 it's fun, but it gets old.
    2) linear restrictions - typical for FPS - even though Dishonored's story line was linear, the freedom to do anything (or almost anything) was amazing.
    3) However, #2 tolerable if you accept that fact that it is an FPS...
    4) oh and of course, no multiplayer... which really is too bad, but honestly, it wouldn't have been too different than CoD or BF4 (except for the buggy **** EA/DICE sells).

So looking forward to logging in and moving on - oh my god I just ****ed up this nazi...
    Last edited by SoterioN; 06-01-2014 at 09:21 AM.

Oh should also add:

1) toggle left and right mode: they are referring to weapon settings in left and right hand, such as single vs full auto, silenced vs no silencer...

2) running on Ultra settings - very pretty

3) 40gb download...ya

PC, X-Box, or PS?

LM
    Play Forgotten Hope

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y30VDny56Vw
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...rican_football
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaWookie151 View Post
    I get bored, like really bored. So I like to make siege weapons.

PC of course

Quote Originally Posted by SoterioN View Post
    PC of course
    For the record: Several levels in - it is fun, but I cannot shake this feeling that I am playing Half Life 2 with a Wolfenstein mod... Just fyi

Of course. The reason I ask is one of the drones at work bought it for PC and he says the game is buggy, and the frame rates are terrible.

He is a dolt though.

LM
    Play Forgotten Hope

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y30VDny56Vw
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...rican_football
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaWookie151 View Post
    I get bored, like really bored. So I like to make siege weapons.

Yeah I heard on some random podcast that it had a surprisingly decent story. Will pick it up eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Strangelove View Post
    Yeah I heard on some random podcast that it had a surprisingly decent story. Will pick it up eventually.
    Ya I mean it's good - I wish there was more info on the broader story, and they do a good job with newspaper clippings to tell you how the war ended, but with some of the missions and tasks I feel more like Dr. Gordon Freeman than BJ Blaskowyz. In either case, a bunch of bossy no name hacks telling me what to do when I'm a doomsday prepper and can handle life on my own without them bossing me around.

There's also a cool easter egg that lets you play the original Wolfenstein 3D I think? so f-king funny

Quote Originally Posted by LEAD MAGNET View Post
    Of course. The reason I ask is one of the drones at work bought it for PC and he says the game is buggy, and the frame rates are terrible.

He is a dolt though.

LM
    I have only every now and then seen some mild graphical anomalies, usually on character model faces, and usually if turning quickly. I am running everything on Ultra and it is pretty.

Some other bugs I notice are 1) some clipping issues; 2) some pitiful areas in which the designers sort of force you through but give you very very limited freedom to explore - like rock piles that are very low but don't let you jump up on them, one instance was so frustrating I had to walk away b/c I couldn't ****ing figure out where it wanted me to go, and 3) some occasional good AI, and then some just god awful terrible AI - for example, I took down 2 guys with silent take downs, and didn't realize there was a 3rd patrolling, I pulled back to ambush him (and I hate how I can't move bodies - got spoiled with Dishonored) - well the AI stepped over 2 of his buddies like nothing happened, said "huh?" and kept walking on till I slit his throat... I have seen bad AI like that on several occasions.

The TV commercials look pretty cool!
    Imagine if you'd spent as many hours practicing with a musical instrument as you have spent playing video games.