Thread: Laptop Recommendations

Default Laptop Recommendations

I haven't looked @ hardware in years... so that said, I want to get my wife a laptop for her birthday. She is limping along on some ancient Dell.

She of course likes the way Mac Airs look (who doesn't), and waffles between Windows/Mac so neither one is a requirement or showstopper. Lighter is better. She's mostly going to use it for Office apps and web things, maybe writing a book (which on the Mac would be Scrivener... which may be a draw to the Mac side).

I don't think a chromebook will cut it. But it doesn't need to be beefy enough to run games. Don't want to spend a fortune but I am not concerned about it being ultra cheap.

We only use Lenovo Thinkpads for work and they are generally pretty good, but might be overkill for her needs (and the touchpad on the T440+ is AWFUL).

Any suggestions for Windows laptops? thx

Regular

Go with another Dell -- I've always had really good luck with Dell; I currently have a 13" Ultrabook and really like it.

Sounds like you're leaning towards a Mac, but then you said you "don't want to spend a fortune" so....

Anyone have experience with the MS Surface ones that are both tablet and laptop form factors?

No AK, not leaning to Mac but it is an option. Thx.

Quote Originally Posted by batmanuel View Post
    I
    She of course likes the way Mac Airs look (who doesn't), and waffles between Windows/Mac so neither one is a requirement or showstopper. Lighter is better. She's mostly going to use it for Office apps and web things, maybe writing a book (which on the Mac would be Scrivener... which may be a draw to the Mac side).

Do you love your wife?
    Get the Macbook Air and add Windows to it either with BootCamp or Parallels. That way she has the best of all worlds.
    Why is this decision even in question?
    Imagine if you'd spent as many hours practicing with a musical instrument as you have spent playing video games.

Quote Originally Posted by RolandTGunner View Post
    Do you love your wife?
    Get the Macbook Air and add Windows to it either with BootCamp or Parallels. That way she has the best of all worlds.
    Agreed. Bootcamp is super easy and the form factor makes the macbook air the ultimate travel laptop.
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryAfricanMan View Post
    You don't want none of this, b****

Quote Originally Posted by RolandTGunner View Post
    Do you love your wife?
    Bootcamp or parallels? f that. virtualbox!

I'm not sure she actually wants an Air... that's the rub.

Well then I don't know what to tell you. Get her what she wants, even if she doesn't know what she wants, or else....
    Imagine if you'd spent as many hours practicing with a musical instrument as you have spent playing video games.