Thread: I need an SSD what the hell do I get?

Default I need an SSD what the hell do I get?

Looking for a 500gb one, is this one any good?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...scrollFullInfo

I have one of those, and it's very good. I haven't had a single issue with it and it's VERY fast. I can boot Win7 x64 in about 1:15 or Linux in about 35 secs.

It's easy to install, fast, quiet, cool, and (most importantly) cheap! What's not to like?

Regular

Ditto what OD said -- Samsung's data migration tool makes it really nice & easy to create and copy your HDD's image to the SSD. Even **I** was able to do it.

I dunno, I'm getting dumber by the year, but I'll give this one a shot, thanks guys!

Hooray I got this samsung 850 evo ssd thingie! It didnt' come with any cables, do I need to purchase a special one? I'm confused! (I don't want to migrate data, just want to plug it in for now) Help me I'm dumb!

Regular

Assuming your power supply is from this century, you should have a SATA power connector available. If not, you need a Molex-to-SATA power cable adapter and plug it into an available 4-pin Molex plug.

What you probably need is a SATA3 data cable (lame that they don't include one, I know). You could probably get one at a local Best Buy for <$10.

Helpful pictures below:

Last edited by Angry Kid; 05-18-2015 at 08:35 AM.

thanks dude for the pictures, that should help. No idea where a data cable plugs into, but it looks like i got lots of empty 4 hole thingiess (molex?) also one plug that says sata (not sata III)

Regular

If the one (SATA) plug you're talking about is from your power supply, that's what you need to power the SSD. Power doesn't care what version of SATA it is.

What model is your motherboard? If it's a fairly recent model, there should be data headers on your mobo that say on the motherboard itself 'SATA2' and (hopefully) 'SATA3'.

They might be different colors from what's pictured below, but the SATA2 and SATA3 connectors should be different colors. regardless.

Obviously you want to use a SATA3 connection. If you only have SATA2 available, it'll work -- the I/O data rates won't be up to par with SATA3 but, like I said, it'll work.
    Last edited by Angry Kid; 05-18-2015 at 09:33 AM.

Okay I found a block of 4 blue and 2 white, that must be it. I'll get the data cable tomorrow and give it a try. If you look to the northwest tomorrow evening and see a mushroom cloud it means I must have messed up and triggered WOPR somehow. thanks for the help. i love you. (awwwwwkarrrrrrd)

That wasn't so bad now was it?
    Last edited by RolandTGunner; 05-20-2015 at 09:05 AM.
    Imagine if you'd spent as many hours practicing with a musical instrument as you have spent playing video games.